[pct-l] Trail conditions, WA PCT

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Fri Jul 25 16:54:17 CDT 2008

Since there have been several people asking lately, I thought I'd point out some recent trail conditions reports from the Washington PCT.

(7/22) Here's something from someone who attempted to hike from Stevens Pass to Snoqualmie Pass (WA section K) and was defeated by snow.  Very impressive picture included, considering it's late July!
http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin.dev/wtaweb.pl?7+reports+displayM+2008072204

(7/22) Someone reported meeting a PCT section hiker somewhere around Crystal Mountain who had walked from the Oregon border, "much of the way in snow".  No idea who that might be, but it must have been a lot of work.
http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin.dev/wtaweb.pl?7+reports+displayM+2008072203

(7/21) Still over five feet of snow in places around Lake Valhalla, north of Stevens Pass in WA section K.
http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin.dev/wtaweb.pl?7+reports+displayM+2008072200

(7/21) Still lots of snow on all north-facing slopes in WA section K.
http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin.dev/wtaweb.pl?7+reports+displayM+2008072106

(7/21)  LOTS of bugs out at Suiattle Pass in WA section K.  Two thru-hikers (SOBO, I presume?) sighted.
http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin.dev/wtaweb.pl?7+reports+displayM+2008072110
http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7968607&highlight=

(7/21) Lots of snow between Dishpan Gap and Sauk Pass in WA section K.
http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin.dev/wtaweb.pl?7+reports+displayM+2008072026

The good news is that there are many more trip reports being written for the PCT than there were a few weeks ago, which means people are starting to get out on the trail.  It seems that a few thrus and section hikers have covered most or all of the WA PCT between them, so the trail is technically "passable".  Unfortunately, it's still far from easy hiking, though.  Expect difficult travel and difficult route-finding for awhile still.

Eric