[pct-l] Fire closure Near Chester

Piper's Mom mrosendahl at digitalpath.net
Sat Jul 26 17:16:22 CDT 2008

Here's an update from one of our local publications:  This section of the PCT is between Belden and highway 36/89.

"Portions of the Pacific Crest Trail as well as Alder Creek, Potato Patch and Elam Campgrounds remain closed.  Discussions between the Incident Management Team and Forest officials are taking place daily.  As soon as it is deemed safe to do so, those areas will reopen.  However, since the Cub Fire burned across the PCT in places and burned to the edges of the Potato Patch and Alder Creek Campgrounds, fire managers have to be very careful about allowing the public to enter the area.  Currently fire crews are removing fire weakened trees from around the campgrounds and the PCT.  "

We've taken several thrus out to the trail from Chester, and we've spotted other local residents giving or offering rides as well.  This week we'll be in town on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoon, looking for hikers between 2:30 and 3 pm or thereabouts.

Piper's Mom