[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 7, Issue 47

Ellen Shopes igellen at comcast.net
Sat Jul 26 17:01:36 CDT 2008

Five days isn't bad.  Depends on how light you want to go.  Do you plan on
cooking?  The grocery stores have an abundance of usable items.  Couscous
has already been mentioned, but stuffing mix works well, too; neither
requires much clean-up.  Many stores carry dried veggies (ie, mushrooms).  I
found that if I cut up jerky into pieces, then soaked it for 5-10 minutes
before cooking it with the rest of the meal, that it tenderized pretty well.
Foil-packaged meats are tasty but heavy, good for the first day or two.  You
can order cans of freeze-dried meats (chicken, turkey, beef, etc) and add
them to meals.  (I used Wildernessdining.com.)
As others have mentioned, put the meals together before you leave on a trip.
this has several advantages:
    1.  You won't forget any ingredients, or carry something you end up not
needing
    2.  You can weigh the meals, so you eat the heaviest ones first
    3.  You get rid of extra packaging that just adds weight and takes up
space.  I use quart size ziplocks for most meals, and write the directions
and weight on them.
I also found most of the potato meals (ie, herb and sour cream scallop
potatoes) will cook up in 1/2 the time if I soak it for about 15 minutes
before cooking.  And the scallop potatoes clean up alot easier than the
mashed potatoes so many are fond of.
Good luck and have fun.
Ellen