[pct-l] Fire Closures in General

Lou Filliger lfilliger at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 28 16:08:48 CDT 2008

Specifically why?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mooney, Fergus" <Fergus.Mooney at broadmeadcare.com>
To: "Lou Filliger" <lfilliger at earthlink.net>
Cc: <pct-l at backcountry.net>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 2:05 PM
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Fire Closures in General

Gibberish....

-----Original Message-----
From: pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Lou Filliger
Sent: July 28, 2008 2:01 PM
Subject: [pct-l] Fire Closures in General

I've read some of the posts here about the fire closures, specifically
the ones through
Plumas.

I'm very upset about the closures.  I've been upset about it for 2 weeks
now and the anger
is not going away.    I was planning to hike through there and had to
cancel.  Now, I
realize full well that the people whose homes were endangered were a lot
more
inconvenienced by the fires than I was.  I also realize that the forest
service may be
acting "in my best interest" (in their opinion) by ordering the
closures.

I find both of those things to be irrelevant to the issue at hand.   I'm
an adult, and the
government is not my parent.  If I choose to accept the risk of hiking
through a dangerous
area I should be able to do so, as a free citizen of a supposedly free
country.   I
especially don't buy the argument that the trail needs to be closed so
that "if a problem
occurs, valuable resourses will have to be pulled away from the fires to
come rescue me."
I don't ask for rescue, I don't want rescue, and in fact, I would not
accept rescue if it
came.   If someone tries to rescue me without my having asked them, it's
their
responsibility, not mine (and part of a faulty department policy if you
ask me.)  And my
staying out of the closed area won't help bring back the houses of those
unfortunate
people who lost them.

It's part of the adventure of going into the back country that, for one
reason or another,
you may not come out again.  Now the government has taken this right
away from us as they
will eventually take everything else.  Why not stand up and make a stand
about it while we
still have a chance to, before even our right to complain is taken away?
It's only a
matter of time - it will happen in our lifetimes if things keep going at
the rate they are
now.

So, to me, the question of crossing a closure order is the wrong
question.  I am a
law-abiding citizen and would never cross a closure order.  The question
is why haven't we
put a stop to these arbitrary closures, or, more precisely, why don't we
put a stop to it?
I am not my brother's keeper, and vice versa.  I hope this message gets
archived in its
entirety; if everyone started speaking out like this the bureaucrats
would finally be
forced to do what they were hired to do, namely, allow us to use our
nations' parks and
wildernesses as we see fit, unfettered, as long as it doesn't hurt
anyone else.

Sincerely
Lou Filliger