[pct-l] Fwd: Latest on the PCT Detour Route Washington

Andrea Dinsmore zaqueltooocool at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 09:19:06 CDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andrea Dinsmore <zaqueltooocool at gmail.com>
Date: Jul 26, 2008 9:59 AM
Subject: Latest on the PCT Detour Route Washington
To: pct back country <pct-l at backcountry.net>

Official PCT Detour (Re-Route) - Glacier Peak Wilderness

Report Date(s): July 18th-24th

Disclaimer- I'm writing this report for those hiking south to north, but my
party hiked this section north to south during the above dates. It was only
the second week of our attempted thru-hike, so we were still sorting
ourselves out and hiking moderate mileage in an attempt to "break ourselves
in" to the trail. Conditions may appear much different to more experienced
PCT trail travelers.

1. Steven's Pass to Wenatchee Pass- wet/muddy trail conditions in places,
small patches of snow, largest snow covered area in the vicinity of (IVO)
Lake Valhalla and northern side of Grizzly Peak. No major concerns.

2. Wenatchee Pass to Indian Pass- Miles of intermittent snow covered trail.
Navigation on open ridges and saddles can be somewhat time consuming, but
there should be a fair amount of tracks with more regular visitors. Major
concerns were steep snow covered side slopes in shaded area that stayed hard
and slick into the afternoon, and postholing in melted out snow covered
talus slopes.

3. Indian Pass to White River ford- Almost no snow. Lots of wet, brushy
areas, worst biting insects encountered from Steven's Pass to Manning Park,
several large avalanche debris paths with numerous down trees that were
fairly easy to circumvent, no flooding.

White River ford recommendation: When arriving at large bridge over Indian
Creek just before reaching White River, don't cross bridge, stay on Indian
Creek side, bushwhack along creek for a couple hundred yards until reaching
junction of Indian Creek and White River. Just to the left is a large sand
bar and bend in the river with calm eddy that provides an easy entry point
into the river, as well as a nice place to swim. Angle slightly left, 45
degrees upstream and stay along shallow rocks. We crossed around 1:00 p.m.
and the river was approximately thigh high at the deepest.

4. White River Ford to Napeequa River ford- clear trail all the way up to
Boulder Pass. Boulder Pass has some snow covered areas but with good
visibility trail was easy to follow and identify from a distance. We ran
into several other parties that had been climbing on the nearby glaciers, so
the trail was fairly well traveled and packed out. Trail down to Napeequa
River was full of switchbacks but little snow.

Napeequa River ford recommendation: The Napeequa was flowing much faster
than the White River. We crossed as a group of three. We went slightly
upstream from where the trail intersects the river and crossed over at an
angle to a large sand/rock bar. We chose this crossing because the exit
point of the ford going north is on the outside edge (cut bank) of the bend
in the river and is thick and brushy.

5. Napeequa River ford to Chiwawa River ford- The trail was a little
difficult to follow at times along the Napeequa River heading north to
Little Giant Pass. Some minor marshy/flooded areas and overgrown/brushy
trail. Switchbacks up to Little Giant Pass have experienced a fair amount of
erosion from spring melt off and sloughing. Not difficult but definitely
required attention to detail and focused foot placement for the majority of
the traverse up to the pass. Minor snow on the trail north of Little Giant
Pass. Steep descent down to the Chiwawa River but no major concerns.

Chiwawa River ford recommendation: We crossed at 6:00 a.m. in the morning
and the ford at the trail intersection was obvious and straightforward.
There is orange tape marking the trail down to the ford. The river was knee
high at the deepest part.

6. Chiwawa River ford to end of detour route- Nothing worth reporting.
Standard trail conditions.