[pct-l] Interesting article on use of aircraft for forest fires

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 29 12:50:00 CDT 2008

I saw an interesting article on the "political" as opposed to beneficial use of aircraft for fighting forest fires in the L.A. Times today. A little off topic but thought it would be of interest in the ongoing fire closure debate.

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-me-wildfires29-2008jul29,0,7728721,full.story

I know the feeling of frustration of hiking for months and then being stopped by a fire closure, after my thru-hike in 2006. I'm all for obeying the law but if there is someway to get an exception to hike thru a reasonably safe closed area I see no problem with that. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. We also hiked through the closed area in Washington in the Suiattle River area where all the bridges had been destroyed. There was no more danger there than in the Sierras, but it was closed to "protect" us. Sure, warning signs are necessary for those who don't want the risk, or to warn of what to expect, but leave the choice up to the hiker to decide. Oh, and I don't buy the "closed to protect the trail" argument - the trail is destroyed. A few (hundred) hikers going through isn't going to make it any worse.

I recently hiked an old Inca Trail here in Peru that hasn't been used for the last few years because a new trail has replaced it. It looked scarey from the new trail, but after hearing that is was still passable, we checked it out. It was exciting but fine. I think this link will work if you want to see some photos on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/photo_search.php?oid=14675962155&view=all

Ah, there are no "closed" trails here, no warning signs, (and almost no information signs), freedom to enjoy the wildness (it's not wilderness, there are people living in some of the most remote places) and get away from it all. And no one sues if they slip and get hurt, I think it is called "taking personal responsiblity".

Sugar Daddy

Interested in a South American Adventure? I have started an Adventure Travel Business in Peru.
http://www.adventurecotahuasi.com

Have a look at my blog to see photos and stories of ministry and other activities I am involved in here.
http://vichanson.spaces.live.com/

Check out the stories of my adventures in Peru and other places:
http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Vic_Hanson