[pct-l] Chester to Burney

Piper's Mom mrosendahl at digitalpath.net
Thu Jul 31 14:23:45 CDT 2008

>>Is the trail currently open between Hwy 36 near Chester all the way to
>>Burney Falls, and does anyone have current trail conditions info.  I'd
>>also like to know the current smoke/air quality. ...I'm trying to do a
>>section hike and don't know if this is feasible.<<

Completely.  You'd probably have a really nice hike, and my daughter, Piper,
would tell you to stop at Drakesbad (for the food and the hot swimming pool)
and at Firefly's place in Old Station.

The trail is open from highway 36 near Chester all the way to Burney Falls
and north to the Etna closure.  Smoke in the Chester/Lake Almanor basin is
light, but changeable with the wind.   The Rich Fire near Belden is about
4,000 acres and very very smokey at the scene.  Smoke seems to be heading
east/northeast.

Forest Service personnel say there is no opening date for the trail being
open south from highway 36 to Belden - they say it will be closed for "some
time."  The trail is still closed from Quincy/LaPorte Rd. to Belden.

IMO, if one is open and the other is not, that is, from (1) Q/LaP to Belden
and (1) Belden to 36 it would still be better to get off at Q/LaP Rd. and
hitch to Quincy, and take the $3.00 bus ride to Chester.  If the trail to
Belden from Q/LaP rd. is open and the Belden to 36 is not open you would
still have a very long, ugly road walk to the Greenville Y where you might
pick up a ride (this is presuming highway 70 is still closed) to Chester.

Some thrus we spoke with walked the road from Quincy to Chester, but it is a
very narrow, winding road with steep drop-offs into the canyon below.
Logging trucks race up and down that road and to me (and to some of those
who walked)  it would be pretty terrifying to have a log truck pass you with
only a couple of feet to spare.  Take the bus!

Piper's Mom