[pct-l] PCT Mom: Re: "Oregon don't look good"

Postholer public at postholer.com
Sun Jun 1 22:06:41 CDT 2008

Yeah, it can be a bit misleading near the beginning and end of the snow
season when comparing to todays date, especially this year! Graphically, you
get a better feel for it if you use the default Apr 1st near the beginning
or end of the snow season.

For instance, if you look at the graph for Clear Lake, usually they have no
snow on June 1st. But you still have over a foot there today. So the average
is several thousand times that of normal. Misleading.

Compare it against the default April 1st and it shows 45% average, which is
easier to digest, but still appears to be an enormous amount because of that
whole average thing. Misleading.

Only when you look at the tabular data you see about 14.5 inches of snow on
the ground. No big deal from the thru hikers perspective. It will probably
be gone in a couple weeks.

So while the graph may be misleading at times, you have links to all the
official data to give you a reasonable ballpark idea of what's
going on.

Now that everyone is confused.....  :)

-postholer

Here is the Post Holer link I was looking at. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.
http://postholer.com/cgi-bin/postHoler?histMonth=6&histDay=1&histYear=2008&avgMonth=6&avgDay=1