[pct-l] Snow depth graphs

trail-name-here trail-name-here at comcast.net
Tue Jun 3 12:10:15 CDT 2008

Here's what I know:
While I was not on the PCT itself,  I was on trails in the Desolation last
week and on the Tahoe Rim Trail yesterday.
Desolation had snow - depending on slope aspect - covering trails to 3'
mostly over 7500' elevation.
I hiked out of Spooner Summit Trailhead yesterday and the trail was clear
but it is mostly exposed for several miles.
(Pyramid Peak - although south facing and exposed - has snow from 8000 to
the summit at 10,000. Dick's Pass is around 9400.)
It is melting fast but it snowed Memorial Day weekend and that slowed things
a bit.
My trail in last week was a creek with mostly a three foot cover.
The Pacific Ranger dist is noted for handing out near-disinformation about
trails and access. (I was told Wright's Lake Road was only open a quarter
mile in and it was clear for more than 4 miles - up to Lyons Creek).
That ranger station has to deal with a huge crowd of hoo-hah's from the city
and they just run deterrence scams on everyone, regardless.

Here's what I guess:
The trail by Echo Lake is probably clear with patches of ice on the granite
stretches as you ascend toward Haypress Meadows. (I don't have eyes on for
that, but that's been past situation.
I believe that the Backcountry Ranger actually may have seen some drifts
reaching 6' in depth - most likely around Dick's Pass, but I would suspect
that it is more likely that there is a 2-3 foot cover on about 50 percent
the trail.

This has probably added to the confusion.

Hasta la pasta.