[pct-l] first time poster!

William Skaggs weskaggs at primate.ucdavis.edu
Thu Jun 5 13:40:25 CDT 2008

> Just wondering if anyone could make an educated guess as to the
> weather conditions for the PCT between Tuolumne Meadows and
> Ashland, OR for the months of July and August. Specifically, will I
> encounter any snow? Also, any suggestions for clothing? I am veering
> away from the heavier garments such as wool to save some weight and am
> leaning towards the synthetic fabrics, but don't have too much experience
> when it comes to dealing with wind chill and other cold or wet conditions
> with synthetic garments. What combinations of layers do some of you
> guys out there use? peace!

This is a scenario that favors going light.  No snow, probably no bad
weather beyond an occasional afternoon thunderstorm, lots of hot
sun, probably bad bugs once or twice but you should be past the
worst of them.  Could get down to 20 at night until you've passed
Donner, but after that it's likely to be pretty mild.  You'll have more
concern about hot and waterless stretches than about cold and wet.
If I were doing this, I would go with a light fleece pullover, a light
breathable rain jacket, and a 20 degree down bag.

  -- Bill