[pct-l] Winter Thru-hike

Postholer public at postholer.com
Fri Jun 6 10:41:27 CDT 2008

Not that I'd ever attempt such a thing, but I've thought about it. Assuming
you have your typical winter snow, here's some things to consider in the
mountain areas:

Your daily mileage will be low, due to the strenuous nature of hiking on
snow, requiring heavier loads.

Where will you resupply in the Sierra's? Are you going to walk all the way
to Independence or Bishop? Toulomne, VVR, Reds Meadow all closed. Where will
you resupply? Mammoth may be an option.

Same for the Cascades, Crater Lake, Big Lake Youth Camp, etc, virtually
inacessable or closed.

It would require huge loads on some stretches in possibly the most adverse
conditions imaginable and travel hundreds of miles between resupply. You
could drag a pulk behind you, assuming you could get it over passes or
through the trees.

Maybe I'm over reacting. But what a story it would make! If you go, I'll buy
the book on your return.

-postholer