[pct-l] Animal attacks

Bill Batchelor billbatch at cox.net
Fri Jun 6 16:11:10 CDT 2008

This comes up all the time.  You are not alone in your concern.  Though the
concerns are over warranted.  Here is my two cents:

If you look at he history of things that injure or worse PCT hikers, animal
attacks are FAR at the bottom of the list.  Yet, because of the spooky
nature of the thought, they take up an undue preoccupation in the mind.

>From my experience of reading and tracking this subject, here is my non
scientific observation of the dangers.

1.  The trail overall is as safe as "society" living.   The ride to the
trail is likely to be near the top of the most dangerous parts.

2.  The things that seriously or kill hikers are MUCH more likely in this
order:  falling off cliffs/embankments, unarrested snow slides,
hyperthermia, crossing rivers.

3.  The category of  human assault is really road related not trail.  If an
attack by human happens on the trail, it has always been the trail in close
proximity to a road. After the first mile away from the road, the problem
with humans dimishes to almost nil.  Unless you count rambling conversations
with by passers or stink-B.O. assaults.   We have also had hitch hiking
problems from/to the trail.

4.  I know of no attacks by coyotes.  You will see them all the time.  They
are harmless and beautiful.

5.  Cat attacks are very very rare, though statistics show diminished odds
if you are an adult and are not solo.  The reality of long distance hiking
though is that most of the time you are not in lock step with your partner
anyway.  Most often you are separated by at least 100 yards and more likely
a quarter mile plus.   Also, the odds of solo problems to group problems is
similar to the odds of getting hit by lightning vs winning the lotto.  The
odds are remote either way, just one is less so.

6. If you note the list of things that are far more likely to hurt you
(cliffs, snow, rivers, cold), you will be MUCH better served spending
attention on these items than you are on weapon considerations.

7. VERY few PCT hikers carry weapons.  I have never met one, but I guess
they are out there.

8. You will hear many stories about cougar/mt lion sightings, near
sightings, tracks.  I am convinced that most of them are fabrications,
exaggerations, or imaginations.   Talk to anyone who has hunted these cats
or experts who have tried to study them in the wild.  You can spend months
TRYING to see a cat and fail.   These kitties can get into your heads for
sure, but again - you should be more panicked when you get in your car to
drive.

9.  Many many many hikers hike alone.  Even those with partners often spend
most of their days alone.

I hope you find that reassuring though it will take you some time at night
not to get those spooky feelings.   I have finally come to wearing ear plugs
at night because I don't like things that go snap.

Best to you,

Pink Gumby