[pct-l] Self-arrests

Suzannah Swinehart suz_quz at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 6 19:50:05 CDT 2008

I took a mountaineering class several years ago with the Obsidians, our
local climbing/hiking group.

They made arrangements with Hoodoo Ski Area to let us up there for a field
trip after the ski season ended. We had a great time practicing glacier travel
including roping up and navigating a "crevasse obstacle course" (imaginary
crevasses were marked with cones).

The most memorable part of the day, though, was how we got off the mountain...they
took us to the top of a black-diamond run and had us practice self-arrests in all
four positions. Intentionally sliding down a steep slope on my back & headfirst was
an adrenaline rush, to say the least!

So...I highly recommend making friends with your nearest ski lodge owners. It's
a great way to practice! :)

-Chipmunk

P.S. Austin, I loved your last quote: "The PCT now seems safer than any
neighborhood in Southern California I've ever lived in." This is what most urban
dwellers just don't get!! :)
-------

Bill Batchelor wrote:

If you practice self-arrests you will be ahead of me.  I have practiced on
my carpet in my house, and while I don't think I did it "perfect" . . . I
must brag a little in that I did not budge, even a few inches, across the
living room.   I have yet to do any significant snow travel to find a safe
place to "practice" . . . though I will.

Enjoy your hike.  I am very happy for your adventure.