[pct-l] Greenhorn

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Mon Jun 9 10:50:51 CDT 2008

1. Read this list for the next 3 years, or until your hike.
2. BUY Yogi's PCT Handbook, 08 verson, and study (damn -just like  college)
it thoroughly.
3. BUY the S CA Guidebook the year before your hike, but check with
Wilderness Press to see when they're going to revise it; or, buy it now and  start
reading.
4. Buy a PCT map set cd; there are a couple I believe.
5. Start planning now!
6. There ain't much to hang a hammock from in S CA, and you don't want your
nightly stops dictated by a couple trees you find at 3 PM.
7. As an alternative, you could start long section hikes now, in your
summers, and have 75% of it done by the time you graduate.
8. I did the AT first, because it's the most crowded of the Triple Crown
three; that won't change in the coming years; you might consider it also,  and
everything above would apply - with only the names changed. Also, Yogi  doesn't
have an AT Handbook.
9. Do one trail while you're in college; do a 2nd the summer after college;
do the 3rd the next summer or asap; and you could have a Triple Crown by  age
25.

Bob  "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen
Naturalized Citizen - Republic of  Texas

In a message dated 6/9/2008 10:19:28 A.M. Central Daylight Time,