[pct-l] Oregon Section B Trail Report

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Mon Jun 9 16:47:54 CDT 2008

On Sunday, June 1, I started. at about 1 PM, heading south from the
Summit Trailhead on Highway 140. I spent the night at South Brown
Mountain Shelter and continued southbound the next morning. I
discontinued my hike mid-day because of snow as explained below. Here
are the trail conditions I encountered for those who are planning to
go there soon.

Highway 140 to Dead Indian Road:
	Trail is well constructed and maintained, passing intermittently
through lava flows. Trail covered in spots by snow patches (probably
gone by now), littered in spots with twigs and branches,  and there
are a goodly number of blown down tree trunks across the trail. All
of these are easy to navigate over or around and present no problems
except slowing your pace. Some clean-up might be nice, but no big
deal. South Brown Mountain Shelter is in excellent shape and there is
lots of neatly stored firewood for the stove along with a limited
amount of newspaper available for fire starting. There is no trash
except for one crushed beer can.

Dead Indian Road to Road 3802 (This is the guidebook designation. I
saw no such designation at the real place. This road is signed at its
intersection with Dead Indian Road as Butte Flat Access Road and a
different numbering system. There are other numbered side roads which
are not in the guidebook or on the USGS topo maps that I had with me.):
	Heading south from Dead Indian Road the trail tread is well worn and
distinctive by its definition. I saw one PCT sign on a tree and the
trail was marked with blue diamonds on trees as a cross-country ski
trail. There were patches where the trail was covered with snow melt
water varying in depth from 1" to 5". South of these and less than a
mile south of Dead Indian Road, the trail disappeared. No markings
and no tread. In retrospect, I did not try going west on an old
unused logging road encountered at that point to see if it picked up
again in that direction. I did try east and south following several
cross-country trails but foot tread was not there. There is a serious
need for signage at least, and maybe for some trail work.

Road 3602, AKA Butte Flat Access Road:
	Very quickly, the area become snow covered and the trail could not be seen.

Pieces