[pct-l] snow in the Klamaths

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Tue Jun 10 08:22:03 CDT 2008

Looking to do sections R-P in a couple of weeks anyone
know the snow situation in the klamath range? i live
in ashland and we were getting snow in the valley in
april so i know its a high percip year.
~~~^^~^^~~~^~
I just hiked up to Cliff Lake in the Marbles this weekend and found more
snow than I've ever seen at this time of year. The recent cold spell has
slowed the melt off of the record snowpack. I hiked on solid snow from
Campbell lake (5700) to Cliff, and Cliff lake (6100) is still frozen over. I
found drifts of up to 10ft at the lake, and the north slopes have heavy
snow. The south slopes are melting out fine. In two weeks, you will still
have snow on north slopes above 5500ft, some open stretches on south and
west slopes and ridgelines, and possibly long sections of snow walking. Some
route finding will be difficult as the trail will be under snow. However, if
you have snow experience and are willing to walk long stretches on snow, and
can cross north slopes safely, then you'll have a great hike. You should
expect lower mileage per day in the Marbles, Russians, and Trinities. A
drive up to Mt Ashland, and a climb to the top would give you a great view
of the snow along Section R. This photo of Cliff Lake shows the PCT route
across the lake along the ridgeline and across the snow slope under the
peak. An ice axe would be good insurance on north slopes.
http://www.pbase.com/image/98464703