[pct-l] What is the best sleeping pad for under $100?

taterno at cox.net taterno at cox.net
Tue Jun 10 10:02:00 CDT 2008

Cliff,
I agree with Deems.  The Gossamer Gear pad works well for me, and I am heavy.  I tend to slide off of Thermarest pads, though this can be corrected with an application of seam sealer on the pad surface.  I prefer not to have to deal with punctures and carrying a patchs kit.  Keep it simple, as Steel Eye implies.

Tom KI6ASP
The Incredible Bulk

---- Deems <losthiker at sisqtel.net> wrote:
=============
What is the best sleeping pad for under $100 (preferably around $50) in your
opinion?  Self inflating would be nice, but is there just a closed cell that
is decent?  Thanks!
I've slept on  this type of closed cell pad for about 8 yrs. After the Mt
Washington disappeared, I discovered it had been reincarnated at Gossamer
Gear. I've bought three over the years, each lasts about 3 years with heavy
use before I get a new one. I cut one foot section for a sit pad from a used
one. So with a new one, and the sit pad, I have a full length pad for 8oz.
It's the best non inflatable pad available, and inflatables will deflate at
the most inopportune time. Only $32 for one, so for $100, you can have at
least 9 years of trail sleep.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/nightlight_3_quarter.html