[pct-l] Listerine for Mosquitos?

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun Jun 15 08:04:07 CDT 2008

Com on Greg,
As a former Scouter you know better than that....it may work not only as a mosquito repellent,
but also as a bear attraction.
Having said that, I think I would prefer being chewed on by mosquitos rather than bears.

In 1986, as an adult leader with Troop 500 in Philmont, we were placed on high bear alert
because 2 scouts got mauled by 2 bears the day before our arrival.
The bears basically chewed their scalps off because, it was determined, they had some hair
tonic in their hair.
The scouts survived, one bear was killed and the other was still being hunted.

Bears will eat almost anything and are attracted not only to food odors, but to also to creams,
tooth past, medicine and just about any cosmetics.....ohhh yes, also sun tan lotion and I
suspect Listerine....that is why cosmetics, like food, are bear bagged and why I don't like to
use creams or sun tan lotion in bear territory.

My advise to you, if you value your hide,...do not use Listerine as a mosquito repellent.

On the other hand, if you ever tasted mosquito repellent, you might wonder if mosquito repellent
might not be a good bear repellent...you would be less tasty, that's for sure.

Greg, please keep us advised how this Listerine bear repellent works out for you, or if we don't
hear from you anymore, where to send the flowers and condolences.

JMT Reinhold
Your fragrance free trail companion

Greg writes:

I've seen this go around in emails a couple of times and wonder if any of you have personal experience with using Listerine for a mosquito repellent?? Has anyone compared it to different concentrations of deet?? Sounds like a test that BackpackGearTest.com might be up for, IF there is any merit.

Greg "Strider" Hummel