[pct-l] Hikers guide to caloric intake

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Mon Jun 16 06:18:58 CDT 2008

Steel-Eye,
Your caloric intake requirement described below is probably the best I have seen.
It describes a hikers caloric need and the energy delivered by the 3 basic food
sources in a easy to understand way.

My only comment would be that a concentration should be placed on the less harmful
Unsaturated fats like Polyunsaturated or Monounsaturated (the most benign fat) vs
Saturated fats and complex carbs. vs simple carbs. for healthier, more sustainable
energy.
Since carbs. are carbs. & fats are fats selecting the healthier ones will not change
the weight or energy delivered, but rather deliver a healthier more sustainable energy.
A good example are Macadamia nuts, rich in Monosaturated fats, they deliver 200 calories
per oz. from the most benign of fats....you have to drink straight oil to beat that.

Also protein, at dinner, is important for muscle recovery while the body is at rest and
and in the recovery mode.

JMT Reinhold
Your malnourished trail companion

Good evening, Krikor,

My approach to Calorie requirements is described here:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=166338

Enjoy,

Steel-Eye