[pct-l] One dead, three wounded in border ambush near Campo

Brick Robbins brick at fastpack.com
Mon Jun 16 11:18:07 CDT 2008

I've gotten a couple of pretty nasty private emails about my post, so
I thought I'd clarify.

First off, the point of the post was to alert people that though
unlikely to encounter any problems from Illegal border crossers, there
really is a problem with Mexican on Mexican violence directed by
Banditos towards the Illegals (Pollos) and the Smugglers (Coyotes.)
Since there are bad guys (Mexicans) out there robbing the Illegals, it
doesn't seem unlikely that Banditos might meet Thru hikers.  Both the
Banditos and the Coyotes are armed. Can you tell the difference
between a Bandito and a hard working harmless illegal looking for a
better life? I'm sure I couldn't, till I was looking down the wrong
end of a gun.

I have no issue with humanitarian aid being given to the illegal
border crossers, however it has been reported that it is the common
practice of the US Border Patrol to dump apprehended injured illegals
at local hospitals, and not take them into custody nor detain then
when they are discharged.

By doing this, they shift the cost of the medical care from the
Federal Government to the local County Funded Hospitals. If they were
to detain them, then the Feds would be responsible for paying for
their care.

I have a problem with the Feds cost shifting this way. I also have a
problem with the Illegals receiving a "get out of jail free card" to
save the Feds a few bucks.

It has been reported that the coyotes even give the illegals
instructions to injure themselves badly enough to require
hospitalization if they get apprehended.

The other thing that annoys Americans who live down here by the border
is the duplicity.

If care was denied the Illegals, the consulate and local activists
would be screaming "Racist." If Americans were in a similar situation
it Mexico, no aid would be provided unless payment for the services
was rendered first. It would not be difficult to imagine that on his
way to the hospital, the ambulance driver detouring by an ATM and
withdrawing to your daily limit.