[pct-l] Scott's diet

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Fri Jun 20 00:35:12 CDT 2008

Good evening, Josh,

I've used bean powder for quite a while.  Dried beans of your choice can be
soaked and cooked at home, but it takes quite a while to get them really
thick and ready to dry.  You could follow any recipe for refried beans.  I
take a shortcut:  I buy a #10 can (1 gallon, 7 lbs.) of refried beans from
Costco for $3.  The refried bean paste is spread on the solid sheets of a
food dryer and thoroughly dried.  After drying I give it a ride in the food
processor to make it into fine powder.  In my last batch, the 7 lbs. of
refried beans yielded 26 ounces of very dry powder.  I put ¼ cup of powder
in a snack-size Ziploc bag for one 170-Calorie serving.  I got 18 servings
from the batch.

I like to mix seasoning into the beans paste before I dry it, but it could
also be added after it's dried.  Mostly I use that packaged taco-mix powder.
The bean powder is very dry, and if it is kept sealed it should last for a
very long time, far longer than what a hiker needs.

When it's time to eat I pour some water in the Ziploc, seal it up, then
kneed it around a bit.  It doesn't take very long to reconstitute -- just
minutes.  I tried to reconstitute with oil rather than water to increase the
Calorie content but I was unsuccessful.  Sometimes I mix some dehydrated
cheese powder in with the bean powder for a change.

To eat the reconstituted paste I just bite a hole in the lower corner of the
Ziploc and squeeze it out like toothpaste.  That way I have nothing to clean
up, not even a spreading knife.

Enjoy,

Steel-Eye