[pct-l] Non free standing tents

Bill BillBatch at cox.net
Fri Jun 20 07:03:20 CDT 2008

Let me clarify,

Over the past 15 years I have had to resort to a trench two times.   And my
definition of a trench was about two inches deep and only along the leading
edge to absorb or redirect (accept for the time I used a small jack hammer
to build a Roman type water system across the granite to run my wheat
grinding mill).  Most nights in the rain, especially when the rain is
predicted or indicated, there is never a problem.

Both times the trenches were in duff and easily dispersed and covered (I am
very anal about leaving my sites pristine).   We can plan and do all we need
to pick the best site, prepare for the weather, etc.  However, nature will
on occasion through you a curve.  A few years ago it was not rain, but
unexpected snow in the Sierras.   That event cost two Japanese climbers
their lives while they hung and froze to death on El Cap.  I suspect if they
had choice of some kind to stay dry and warm they would have used it.

On the two occasions I recall using a trench, one was setting up camp at
night and missing some features and the other one was that I did not realize
the "duff" for 100 yards above my camp was really only an inch deep over
solid stone (a nice water collecting surface).   Both occasions had no
forecast or indications of pending rain.  Shit happens - though they are
very rare occasions.  And when it does happen and your choice may be getting
you and your gear wet along with hypothermia or you need to redirect water
and hunker down for the night.   If that happens . . . the choice is yours.
I am just not that green.  - Shoot, I am pink after all.  My point is that
you don't need to carry a double walled small house to stay safe and dry -
even in most obscure "what-if" scenarios.

I'd have to go back and read my note . . .  but if my note seem to indicate
you SHOULD dig a trench, or that it is common, I apologize.