[pct-l] Powdered drinks

Unnu pct at cryptogamic.org
Sat Jun 21 15:44:43 CDT 2008

I'm a big fan of Nuun myself - if you're not familiar with it, it's a
hydration tablet that dissolves in 500ml of water to make a mix that's
(in theory) absorbed quickly by the body, with electrolytes but no
carbohydrates.  You add one tablet per 500ml of water, let it dissolve
for a few minutes, and you're good to go.

It's become quite popular with the cyclist and triathlete crowds.

Upsides: Less intense taste than full-strength Gatorade, tablet form (no
powder mess), hydration only - not sugar water, Kona Kola flavor is
caffeinated if you're missing your morning coffee, the tube keeps the
tablets protected and dry, four choices of flavors.

Downsides: Limited availability, relatively expensive (12 tablets - or
6l total liquid once mixed - for $6.50 or so), can be hard to get the
last tablet out of the tube, the tube isn't as flat as powder packets to
pack out, you'll have to get your calories elsewhere.

They have a website at nuun.com, and can be found (at least here in
Seattle) at REI as well as online.

All that, and if you flip "nuun" upside down, it looks like "unnu".

Unnu