[pct-l] Sierra Pass conditions and Fires in NoCal (?)

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 12:55:43 CDT 2008

Hi folks, Gadget here, zero'ing in Mammoth Lakes (did 25 to get here
yesterday, as Silver Pass wasn't bad and I had town food on my mind
...).

I was just looking over recent messages and saw some about Sierra
conditions; Cuddles already summarised stuff well, but I'll add my 2
cents in case it helps.

Someone included a question about Muir Pass, and the thing about Muir
Pass from my perspective wasn't climbing up to it --- there's snow for
the last 1000' or maybe a bit less on the way up (NOBO), but nothing
bad.  The issue for me was about 4 miles of fairly level ground almost
entirely covered in snow, as of June 18th at any rate --- it was snow
all the way to Saphire Lake, after which it was somewhat boggy (natch)
and then the usual transition of snow/no-snow/trail-is-a-stream stuff.
Bottom line is that if you're doing Muir Pass, recognize that on the
north side you'll be moving slowly, and as Yogi's book already points
out, in the late afternoon you could be postholing for a long time.

The other bit that is of potential concern is Mather Pass on the way
up (again, NOBO).  It looks scary from below, a section of snow in a
steep place, but when you're actually in it, the steps I found were
very solid.  But I wouldn't want to do this in the late afternoon
either.

I definitely concur that no ice axe is needed, unless you find yours
useful for digging catholes or like the cool look it gives you to
carry something useless around.  If you want the latter, then I'd go
for something more along the line of Goodtimes who carries a toy
Indiana Jones plastic whip, that makes genuine whip sounds and play's
the Indy theme music.

No other passes stick out in my mind; I did Forester enough days back
now that I bet it's less of an issue finding trail on the way up.
Selden and Silver are no big deal, more snow on the far side of
Selden, Silver was the easiest yet for me at least.

And now a request: I'm sending this via my cellphone (my "Gadget"
trail name isn't for nothing), but it's not the ideal vehicle for
general internet searching.  I just caught on the news a few minutes
ago that lightening strikes causes a whole lot of fires in NoCal, and
the the Governator has called out the national guard to help fight
them.  I wonder if anyone more connected would look round and see if
any of these are likely to impact thru-hikers this year?

I'll check back here later today and tomorrow (have to hang around
until the post office opens).  There are 13 thru's sharing a condo
here, and if I get any helpful info I can pass it on to them and that
should help filter the word around in our vicinity at least.

Thanks in advance!

      Gadget '08
      postholer.com/brianle