[pct-l] condition of the trail

jomike at cot.net jomike at cot.net
Mon Jun 23 13:31:47 CDT 2008

Message: 7
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:50:57 EDT
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 6, Issue 54
To: pct-l at backcountry.net

I am going to hike Belden to Burney Falls starting July 4th.  Does anyone
have trail information?Sparrow

After calling Burney Falls; Mt.Shasta Dist office; and Fall River Mills dist. office...it was unanimous, nobody knows anything about the pct.  All three were telling me that snow is all but gone except in the higher elevations (8000+ is my guess).

It struck me sad that the manpower (I know, it's out dated) in the various agencies is not enough to have a ranger out-and-about this time of year. Neither will there be anyone tending to all the blow downs.

I discovered this same situation in about 8 different USFS district offices. I distribute the PCTA map/brochure to these locations and over the last three years I have seen a major change in the finances. I'd heard for years the budgeting problems; it wasn't until I was in the office of these agencies and speaking with them in person, did I come to truly appreciate the USFS financial difficulties.

Enough...didn't mean to delve into politics.