[pct-l] hydration question!

Ellen Shopes igellen at comcast.net
Tue Jun 24 21:46:11 CDT 2008

Ideally, hydration should be based on the environmental temp, your level of
exertion, and your degree of heat acclimitization.  At Grand Canyon, we
started to see dehydration problems whenever the temps got above 85.  If you
are sweating freely while hiking, you are probably losing .8-1 liter/hour.
If you are acclimated to the heat, you would tend to lose closer to the 1
liter/hour.
Having said these figures, one way to figure out your needs is to do a day
hike in a similar environmental temp, and see how much water it takes to
keep you urinating yellow-tinged urine.
Ellen