[pct-l] Scary stuff ahead

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Jun 25 09:29:07 CDT 2008

Mr. Mumbles and I went over Sonora Pass last August. It was dry as a bone, not a bit of ice or snow, and I was scared out of my wits.  I'm not fond of vertical exposure, and the downhill approach to the highway on the PCT has plenty of that. The Leavitt Lake trail appears to be a very easy runout to the highway, but it does bypass some spectacular scenery that you experience on the PCT.  Here's what made this leg of the trail especially scary to me, even under ideal conditions:

- the trail is very narrow
- the trail is sloped noticeably toward the downhill
- there are little lava rock marbles everywhere
- the ground is rock hard, and trekking pole tips don't penetrate
- the runout is steep and rocky (sharp, nasty looking rocks)
- knowledge that experienced hikers fell and were banged up and bruised there

On other passes, like Forrester, Glen, and Mather, the trail was broad, and aside from crossing snow fields, felt safer.  I'll admit that my fear of vertical exposure is pretty strong, but Sonora Pass was the biggest challenge yet.  I cannot imagine crossing that stretch of trail in icy conditions.

OTOH, many hikers do this bit of trail without a shread of fear, and say, "what's the big deal?"  I was fearful and challenged, but I did it. Overcoming fears and accepting challenges is one of the attractions of hiking.

L-Rod