[pct-l] Scary stuff ahead

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Wed Jun 25 10:02:40 CDT 2008

I was up camping in the Sonora Pass area this last weekend and there is
still lots of snow on the north facing slope as you descend to Sonora
Pass.  Even though I've hiked this section a couple times - it was long
enough ago i couldn't remember where the trail was, so can't help
there.  The "scary spot" I remember wasn't very wide at the times I was
going through - no big snowfield, but there is more snow right now than
then.

We picked up a NOBO and took him to Kennedy Meadows where they are
finishing up the new store/restaurant complex.  Someone really reluctant
to go down to Sonora Pass could jump off the trail at Bond Pass or the
western most switchback at the top of Kennedy Canyon and hike over to
High and Middle Emigrant Lakes and down to kennedy meadows by Relief
REservoir.  Lots of traffic and what looked like a pretty easy hitchhike
- on a saturday at least - to get up to the pass.

Jeff Olson
Santa Rosa, CA