[pct-l] Re; Bear Cannisters

Jim McCrain jim at mccrain.net
Wed Jun 25 10:56:25 CDT 2008

>From: "Kary Danielson" <kdconstruction at directcon.net>
>Subject: [pct-l] bear canisters
>
>Howdy,
>I am curious as to what people are doing about crossing Yosemite where approved bear cans are required?
>I used an ursack last season and had no problems but the conditional approval has been dropped and
>honestley I don't want to go back to one of the traditional cans. Has anybody used an unapproved storage
>device and had problems with rangers?
>KD

KD,

You will have NO problems if you carry an unapproved cannister and the Rangers check you.  You WILL get a citation for several hundred dollars.  You WILL have to pay this citation, as it is a Federal Mandate.  You MAY be told to leave the aea immediately.  In any of those cases, there is NO PROBLEM.  You WILL comply or be arrested.

Now, instead of whining about carrying an extra couple of pounds, just for your own comfort, why don't you think about the bears that you would be protecting by simply following the established rules and regulations?  The bears won't be able to get to your food, so they don't rely on human food anymore.  You don't lose your food, so you don't go hungry.  We all win!

Sorry if this is sounding a little snippy, but I am getting very tired of people trying to get away with "breaking the rules" so they can save a pound or two.  Just suck it up and do it!

Jim