[pct-l] Scary stuff ahead

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Jun 25 11:47:36 CDT 2008

On Jun 25, 2008, at 7:55 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Mr. Mumbles and I went over Sonora Pass last August. It was dry as
> a bone, not a bit of ice or snow, and I was scared out of my wits.
> I'm not fond of vertical exposure, and the downhill approach to the
> highway on the PCT has plenty of that. The Leavitt Lake trail
> appears to be a very easy runout to the highway, but it does bypass
> some spectacular scenery that you experience on the PCT.  Here's
> what made this leg of the trail especially scary to me, even under
> ideal conditions:
>
> - the trail is very narrow
> - the trail is sloped noticeably toward the downhill
> - there are little lava rock marbles everywhere
> - the ground is rock hard, and trekking pole tips don't penetrate
> - the runout is steep and rocky (sharp, nasty looking rocks)
> - knowledge that experienced hikers fell and were banged up and
> bruised there
>
> On other passes, like Forrester, Glen, and Mather, the trail was
> broad, and aside from crossing snow fields, felt safer.  I'll admit
> that my fear of vertical exposure is pretty strong, but Sonora Pass
> was the biggest challenge yet.  I cannot imagine crossing that
> stretch of trail in icy conditions.
>
> OTOH, many hikers do this bit of trail without a shread of fear,
> and say, "what's the big deal?"  I was fearful and challenged, but
> I did it. Overcoming fears and accepting challenges is one of the
> attractions of hiking.
>
> L-Rod

I realize I'm caving in to my fears, but I think I'll do the
alternate route and avoid Sonora Pass. I almost quit my hike
completely because I'm out there scared to death climbing these snowy
passes all alone (they don't bother me as much when I'm with other
people, but that's hit or miss for me on my solo adventure.) I
climbed over Bishop Pass and went home to think this all through and
decided a hike that avoids things I'm not comfortable with is better
than no hike at all.

I'm also terrified of these potentially fatal creeks and went home to
consider how to avoid them all. Which leads me to my last question,
how is Return Creek? Was it as potentially fatal as the book said?

Diane (Piper)