[pct-l] water

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Jun 25 14:33:44 CDT 2008

On Jun 25, 2008, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> Subject: [pct-l] Water s of Trail Pass
>
> I will be hiking up from the HWY 395 through Olancha Pass, to
> Horseshew Medows starting Saturday.  Can anyone give me an idea of
> the water situation?  I have reviewed the books and maps but am not
> sure of flow and distence between sourses.  Thanks a lot.
>
>   Amanda
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: [pct-l] water
>
> Okay, help me out here.  I have heard two opposite things about
> retrieving water while in the field.
>
>    One school of thought says that fast running water is best,
> because still water tends to contain moss, algae and other microbes.
>
>   The other school of thought says that fast moving water carries
> particles of dirt, microbes, etc along with it.  Still water, on
> the other hand allows these particles to settle on the bottom so
> you should scoop you water from the top of pools.
>
>   Perhaps both are true, depending of the depth of the water.
> Shallow pools can't allow for much settling.  Likewise, shallow
> fast moving streams can stir up sediments from the stream bed.
> What do you all think?
>
>   Amanda

Amanda, I don't know how it is from 395 up to Olancha Pass but there
is plenty of water available on the PCT between Olancha Pass and
Horseshoe meadows. If you don't have the data book and/or the guide
book, I highly recommend them as they'll let you know when you might
have a lengthy stretch without water. These books will also let you
know where there is water near to but not on the trail, as this will
be the case for you between Death Canyon creek and Trail Pass.

Be sure to tank up at Death Canyon and be aware there are several
spots before you get to Trail Pass where the only water is on a side
trail.

One of those side trails is a very faint trail that heads over to
Diaz Creek. It is in a level section before the trail heads up hill
toward Mulkey Pass. It's worth the walk. It's a lovely little creek
you can wade into with nice campsites nearby. When I went through a
couple weeks ago there was a note on the trail pointing to the
turnoff. It may no longer be there, however. The trail is quite
faint, so you'll have to stay alert.

As far as moving or not moving water, I carry a filter and filter
anything and everything. There's almost nothing too small for me to
get water out of. But like I said, the area you're going to shouldn't
pose any problems as far as water.

Diane (Piper)