[pct-l] Introduction and a question

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Wed Jun 25 15:58:49 CDT 2008

I have been hiking pieces of the trail varying in length from one day
to 2.5 weeks. I take a  number of medications for heart rhythm
problems, blood pressure, and use insulin. The only problem (knock on
wood) that I have had is when I mistakenly counted out half the
number of pills I would need for a trip. I hitched a ride from a
campground into Sisters, Ore., had the pharmacist phone my doctor's
office, waited half a day for a phone reply authorizing a
prescription, then got my pills and a ride back to the PCT.
Suggestions (most of which I follow):
         1. See if anything needs to be refrigerated and how long it
can stand not being refrigerated. Carry prescriptions for refills as
needed and plan towns where you can get them filled.
         2. Take a few extra for every medication in case you
drop/lose a pill or two.
         3. Carry meds in a waterproof container, e.g. plastic pill
bottle. Keep in a secure place in your pack.
         4. Carry prescriptions in case something happens. (You don't
really want to wait around while a pharmacy tries to contact your
doctor.) Carry your prescriber's phone number.
         5. Carry extra of any med that might potentially need an
increased dose.
         6. Enjoy your hike!
Pieces