[pct-l] Re; Bear Cannisters

Ellen Shopes igellen at comcast.net
Wed Jun 25 20:21:08 CDT 2008

The reason the Urasacks were not approved is because those crafty
Sequoia/Yosemite bears know how to defeat them.  While we were on the JMT
last year, a ranger named Brian told of his experiment.  He took several
food storage devices to Onion Valley and left them filled with food.  The
bears ignored the cannisters but not the Ursack.  Brian said he watched the
bear pick it up and smash it against a rock until the rivetts gave way, then
have a nice meal.
I know people do get away with not using a cannister.  But we also met some
who tried and lost their food to bears.  I can think of few things more
disheartening than to have the food you hauled into the wilderness and need
eaten by a bear!  I can also attest to the fact that the cannisters  HAVE
made a difference.  10 years ago, we saw more bears nosing around our camps
in the Sierras than we did the past 2 years.
Some of the lighter weight cannisters (2pounds) aren't so bad...
Ellen