[pct-l] Bear Cannisters

ambery-80243 at mypacks.net ambery-80243 at mypacks.net
Thu Jun 26 10:54:09 CDT 2008

I'm not trying to point fingers at anyone, but in your e-mail you say that you only put in the Ursack "food I can afford to lose."  It is a common misconception that I hear over and over from people about WHY we hang our food or keep it in a bear canister.  It's not about whether or not we lose our food, it's about not having ourselves, our packs, or our camps be seen as a SOURCE of food.  When a bear finds food in the wild or from us, it will return over and over to the same location, and a mama bear will teach her cubs these same locations.  The idea is to never have them or any other animal ever associate humans or the sight of their gear as a place to easily retrieve food.  This eventually leads to human/bear encounters which don't always end well for the human.  While it endangers the life of the bear if they become habituated to humans and their food, more importantly, it endangers the life of every hiker that follows behind you.
For that reason alone, I would encourage everyone to carry a bear canister in high bear areas, regardless of the law.