[pct-l] Bear Cannisters or not

Jim McCrain jim at mccrain.net
Thu Jun 26 16:58:50 CDT 2008

From: "Postholer" <public at postholer.com>
Subject: [pct-l] Bear Cannisters or not

>  I felt an alternate point needed to be
>provided in light of some of the 'you will be arrested' nonsense that was
>stated.
>
>Snippy arm-chair hiker,
>-postholer

Yeah, it was total non-sense last year when I saw and heard a guy in a green shirt, gold badge, and holstered gun on his hip explain to a young woman her 3 choices.  Pay a citation/fee, leave the trail and get an approved container, or face being arrested and bodily removed from the wilderness.  YOU go ahead and tell the Rangers that it is non-sense!

Now, on a positive note, the Ranger was just EXPLAINING these options, and was not threatening her with any action.  (She was not carrying ANY bear resistant container, so she chose just to take the citation.)  Had she had SOME sort of cannister, she probably would have gotten off with a warning.  But the fact remains, whether you think it is nonsense or not, the Rangers are the law enforcement out there.  You will NOT win if you try to argue a point with them.  It is much easier and safer for everyone (including the animals) just to follow the regulations.

Jim