[pct-l] Bear Cannisters

Steve Sergeant stevesgt at effable.com
Thu Jun 26 18:27:22 CDT 2008

At 7:17 PM -0400 6/26/08, Gary Wright wrote:
>You don't need to use a canister all the way from Lone Pine.  There
>are plenty of bear boxes between there and the point where you must
>have a canister.  Extra food goes in the bear box.

Enjoy them while they last.  I have it on solid authority that
Sequoia & Kings Canyon will be removing all of the bear lockers
within their wilderness areas starting next year.

>It might be fun to have a bear canister packing contest at the
>kickoff party.  How many calories/pounds of food can fit?

Yes.  It always comes back to skill and planning more than the choice
of toys, doesn't it?  We fit a little over 46,000 calories in a 650ci
bear can for our 2004 JMT hike.

For more insight into the bear problems of the Sierra Nevada land
management agencies, and the difficulties of being a bear can
manufacturer, check out the last two week's editions of our show.
--
The WildeBeat  "The audio journal about getting into the wilderness"