[pct-l] larger Bear Cannister length

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Jun 26 19:48:21 CDT 2008

On Jun 26, 2008, at 4:53 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Hi, BearVault here.  Last year we asked the PCT community how large a
> canister they would desire.  Given the limited market which limits the
> variety of change we can afford, we were asking how long would you
> like a
> BearVault with the same diameter as our current two models.
> Changing the
> diameter is not an economic option.
>
> To my surprise, the consensus was 19" (a full 58% larger capacity
> than our
> current full size model).  Obviously this would pose carrying
> issues, but
> that was the desire; 19".
>
> Do you all still feel this is a good length, or would you like a
> smaller or
> longer length.
>
> Happy hiking, Jamie and Cindy
> BearVault

In my opinion, wider might be better than longer. I can only seem to
get it inside my pack in the upright position, not on its side.
There's not much room around it to put anything else, so as long as
it's creating unusable empty space it may as well put it to use
inside the can. I don't want to tie it to the outside because then my
food will bake in the sun and it might fall off the pack and over a
cliff or something.

I have a large sized bear can, but it's not one of yours. The worst
thing about it is the opening is smaller in diameter than the
container, making it very hard to put food in and get it out again.
Your container is better because the opening is about the same size
as the container.

Diane