[pct-l] Bear lockers etc.

kmurray at pol.net kmurray at pol.net
Sat Jun 28 00:34:04 CDT 2008

"Anyway, the idea that every bear that eats your food will be shot is
rather alarmist, no?"

I would STRONGLY recommend that you research this.  As Tori Seher, Chief
Bear Biologist at Yosemite, said at ADZPCTKO:

"A fed bear, is a dead bear".

Tori, who devotes her life to protection of the Yosemite black bears, has
the great joy of killing the bears that start eating backpacker food.

You really ought to look this up, and put links onto your community
backpacking site.
Here is one article on the subject:

http://www.yosemite.org/newsroom/clips2002/january/011202.html

"Miney, whose mother taught her not to fear humans, became a campsite
raider with two cubs. Five years ago she and both cubs were killed when
they were judged a threat to park visitors."

When they start eating backpacker food, they become progressively more
aggressive.  If you have the misfortune to have your food taken, or to
have a physical encounter with bear, you have a previous hiker to thank.
"I only have to deal with the bear can for 6 more days and then I'm
skipping all that nonsense and moving on."

It's a shame that you feel that way.  If we, the hiking community, doesn't
embrace the protection of our natural wonders, who will?