[pct-l] Eastern Sierra Transit

Denis Stanton denisstanton at mac.com
Sat Jun 28 16:08:51 CDT 2008

Hi David

On May 29th I spent a night in my car at Onion Valley and then hitched
to Horseshoe Meadows to start my hike back to Kearsarge.

If I had been packed when the camp host made his resupply trip down to
Independence at 8(?) am he would have given me a ride.  Instead I
stood by the roadhead until 10:15.  I got a ride down to Independence
with a hiker heading north.  Got him to drop me at the southern end of
town opposite the Shell station.  Gas Stations are my preferred hitch
points because people are stopping anyway and they get a chance to
consider whether they want to have you in their car.  I choose a place
where stopping is easy and safe, I prop up my pack where drivers can
see it with a pre-printed sign "Hiker to Lone Pine" taped across it.
I hold out my thumb and smile.

Less than five minutes later I got picked up by an Independence
resident who commutes to San Diego.  Dropped me at the intersection in
Lone Pine.

I set up my pack again, replaced the sign with "Hike to Horseshoe
Meadows", walked along the street to dump some trash in the bin, back
to my pack, put out my thumb and my smile and got picked up in under
ten minutes by some wonderful people who were only going a couple of
miles to Tuttil (sp?) Creek, but decided to go an extra 12 miles each
way up the precipitous road to Horseshoe just to be nice.

So Onion Valley to Horseshoe Meadows, 2 hours wait, then 3 rides
totaling 1 hour 30 including a little shopping.

Last year (9 June) I hitched Horseshoe Meadows to Kennedy Meadows in
three rides, four and a half hours, including a 1 hour wait on the
roadside below Horseshoe Meadows

I don't live in the USA and I don't hitch except for getting to and
from trails.  I've been able to visit the Sierra area several times in
recent years and in my experience the Eastern Sierra is a very
hospitable place and an easy hitch if you go to a little trouble to
present yourself and chose a spot where it's easy to stop

Denis