[pct-l] ultralight tarp reviews

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Sat Jun 28 18:23:31 CDT 2008

If you are looking for ultralight tarps, check out a few small niche manufacturers of lightweight equipement.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/
http://www.owareusa.com/index.html
http://www.gossamergear.com

I have a MLD Grace solo tarp made out of spectralite (cuben fiber) that has worked well for me.  I have been snowed/sleeted on and experienced hard rained on with little problems with the coverage.  It's a generous size for a solo tarp (8.5ft long) and it weighs almost nothing (mine weights 4.5oz without stakes/rope). They have cheaper options if you are put off by the weight and larger tarps.  After cuben fiber, the next lightest material is Spinnaker, but there is currently a nationawide shortage of this material so finding an "in stock" tarp made of this would be difficult this summer.  Silnyon tarps are the cheapest (such as those you mentioned), but they are also heavier but they can be a good value for someone newer to tarp camping.

-Sean