[pct-l] 20 mile times.

Austin Williams longwalk2653 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 19:14:53 CDT 2008

I am 26 years old.  I'm an ultra lighter, I carry about 16-19 lbs when fully
loaded for 6 days of hiking.  I've done back-to-back 20 mile hikes during
training season.  Only takes about 8 hours to hike 20 miles when I'm just
casually strolling (on mostly flat ground).  I could have done it faster,
but I took a twenty minute break for lunch, and a ten minute break because I
felt like doing some yoga.  The temperature varied between 40 degree (F) and
15 degrees (over night).  I would have hiked further those days, but I left
late in the afternoon, so it got dark early.  I stretched well and didn't
experience any soreness (in fact, I just wanted to keep walking).

Based on this (and one other long hike during my training period) I estimate
I can cover 40 miles a day, 6 days a week on flat ground.  Since not much of
the PCT is actually flat, and because I like to take my time and enjoy the
scenerey, I'll probably only cover about 30 miles a day on average.  I know
this is above average, but I carry much lighter gear, I have long legs, I
know my body very well, and I walk alot (and up and down a lot of hills) on
a daily basis.

Hope it helps.