[pct-l] Where are the bears?

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Mon Jun 30 23:28:19 CDT 2008

The PCT passes through seven national parks:

Sequoia NP...................CA
Kings Canyon NP..........CA
Yosemite NP.................CA
Lassen Volcanic NP.....CA
Crater Lake NP..............OR
Mount Rainier NP..........WA
North Cascades NP......WA

You have the info for the first three plus the adjoining Inyo National Forest.

Check the websites for the remaining NPs for their latest food storage requirements. A quick check revealed none of the remaining four mandate bear canisters, although North Cascades NP does list them as one of the approved and mandatory food storage methods.

Crater Lake:
http://www.nps.gov/crla/

Mount Rainier:
http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/wilderness-guidelines-and-regulations.htm