[pct-l] Sonora Pass Update

Hank Magnuski hankm at mtinet.com
Mon Jun 30 23:33:57 CDT 2008

I was at Sonora Pass from 6/25-6/28 and met about thirty thru-hikers who had
come down the trail. There were no reports of hazardous conditions or scary
descents.

The snow has subtantially melted on this last segment of the trail, and by the
time most hikers arrive at this spot (usually noon or later) the snow is soft
and easy
to navigate.

>From these reports the conclusion is that an exit via Leavitt Lake is not
required for those concerned about the safety of the descent into Sonora Pass.

There is also a ridge on the west side of the Sonora Pass bowl which is
completely snow free, and the use trail down that ridge might be an alternate
path which
completely avoids the official PCT snow fields.

Use your own judgement, of course, and do what's comfortable for you. I just
hope this report saves unneeded detours to the highway.

Hank