[pct-l] Aqua Mira v chlorine

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sat Mar 1 10:10:26 CST 2008

Good morning, Stone Dancer,

Thinking about water purification I'm reminded of the PCT hiker who carried a charm to ward off elephants.  It must have worked because he didn't see a single elephant on the entire trip.  The closest thing to an absolute in water purification is bringing the water to a rolling boil, and keeping it there for five minutes.  That will kill the bugs, however it won't deal with particulate or inorganic constitutions.  Few -- if any -- hikers boil their drinking water, for good reason:  It is onerous in terms of the time required, and the weight of the associated fuel and equipment; even more so for those of us who do not cook our food.  The first -- and last -- time I boiled drinking water was in 1954 when trying to advance as a Boy Scout from Tenderfoot to the lofty Second-Class rank.

During the intervening years I've drunk considerable untreated wild-water and I didn't get sick. I've also used about all of the common filtration/purification methods with the exception of the latest UV technology:  I've strained water through a bandana, and I didn't get sick.  I've used Halazone and iodine tablets, and I didn't get sick.  I've used various modern pump-filters, and I didn't get sick.  I've used tincture-of-iodine and I didn't get sick   I've used Clorox Bleach and I didn't get sick.  I've used Aqua Mira and I didn't get sick.

I very much agree with Steady's recent comments and rationale about Clorox vs. Aqua Mira.  Anything short of boiling is a compromise, and we all get to decide the extent to which we will compromise during a hike.  My current operational compromise is to drink wild-water when I think it is reasonably safe, and treat potentially contaminated water with Clorox.

Steel-Eye

^^^^^^^^^^  Serious hikers gather at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^