[pct-l] Sierra Storms (time of day?)

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sat Mar 1 21:19:48 CST 2008

On Mar 1, 2008, at 8:18 PM, Eric Payne wrote:

> For thru-hiking season in June, I've read before that storms in the
> Sierra are predictable.  Is this true, and in what way?  Are they
> typically afternoon thunderstorms and nothing at night?   Does snow
> creep in at night often?

When I hiked in 2004, the clouds started building by 11:00 and there
showers and thunderstorms in the mid to late afternoon.  Each day the
storms came earlier, probably because the overall weather situation
was warming up.  It became a bit tricky to get over passes when the
snow was right and the storms were absent.

I had light snow in 2004 and 2007 in the Sierra with temperatures in
the low twenties on several nights, perhaps high teens.

Radar