[pct-l] Oregon-California Border by Road

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sun Mar 2 13:33:47 CST 2008

Good morning, GrrlPup,

I've been on the road system you describe a number of times, and based upon
my recollection and a quick review of the maps, the directions seem correct.
In spite of its rather ominous sound, those "unpaved" roads are all-weather
roads, i.e. gravel surfaced, and just about any average passenger can
negotiate them provided there are no localized problems such as slides,
washouts, or downed timber.  It would be good to contact the responsible
USFS District office prior to departure to get a road status report.

I don't know what experience you, or your chauffer, have with these kinds of
roads, but here are a few things to consider:

-  Most of those roads are now called "forest access roads", which is a
relatively new, politically correct way of saying "timber access" or
"logging roads".  As such, there may be logging truck and/or heavy equipment
traffic.  Just be alert:  Those things can't stop or maneuver out of the way
of a little Toyota sedan as quickly as you may like, particularly on hills
and around some of those sharp switchback corners.

-  If there are logging operations in the area you will probably see
evidence
of recent, heavy road usage.  In one regard that's good because those roads
will have been opened and maintained that summer, while other less-used
roads may not.

-  Also, if there are logging operations off one of the numerous side roads,
the heavy traffic can make that side road look like the main road you're
trying to follow.

-  It would be helpful if you had GPS coordinates of the main turn points.

-  Pay attention during the return trip.  The roads and turns look different
coming from the other direction.

-  September may well be fire season, and it's possible the roads could be
gated.  Be sure to ask the FS office about closures.

-  Start with a full tank of gas.

Steel-Eye

^^^^^^^^^^  Serious hikers gather at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^