[pct-l] socks

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Wed Mar 5 10:02:25 CST 2008

As I puttered this morning I was thinking why it was I haven't had
blisters in a number of years.  The obvious one is that I have shoes
that are large enough for my feet to expand.  The other one that dawned
on me as I continued to avoid sitting down and working, is that socks
need to be tight.  Not so tight the heel cup slides toward the toes, but
tight enough that it is hard to get the sock on.

There was a thread in the last week that talked about socks, and kinds
of socks.  But not about sizing of socks.  I'm testing my thought with
you.  It doesn't matter what kind of polyblend sock a person uses.  What
matters is that when used it remains tight so that any movement of the
foot in the shoe has the sock and shoe rub, not sock and foot.  Does
this jibe with others' experience?

Loose shoes and tight socks makes a happy hiker...

Jeff, just Jeff...