[pct-l] Steripen Problem

katherine becksvoort kabecksv at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 9 17:43:09 CDT 2008

Hey all,
Here's something I've never understood about using a Steripen. Now, this is me speaking from never having used one...but thought about them alot.

So, if you dip your water bottle into the stream of choice to get water, then use the steripen to purify the water inside the bottle...what happens to the water that clings to the lips of your bottle of choice and touches your lips when you drink? Giardi and Chrypto are super small little buggers...and they will gladly perch on the sides of your lid of your bottle. Steripen cleans the water INSIDE your container, but what about the water clinging to the threads?

That's why all of us "bleed" our threads with our treated water....to wash those little buggers outta there with treated water....right?

Just a thought.

I digress....I've been using Aquamira for years (have guided with several companies and they have gradually switched to Aquamira also, over the past five years or so-none of these companies use water pumps as they can't support/produce enough water for larger client groups over an extended backcountry trip). I DID get something on my AT thru---kicked me in the butt (I think my record was 19 poops in one day)! I got repeatedly tested, but came up negative for Giarda. I actually started Springer with it...before I had ever been on the trip (thank goodness my trail name became MoonPie and not Giardy, as some suggested!) I took it to Maine with me.

Went thru three intense doses of flagil (sp?), that last dose being 21 days long. Ugh. I think it'll probably reappear this year on the PCT, no matter what I purify with. But I'll be using Aquamira.....

Any thoughts on the Steripen?

And hopefully this won't start a discussion about record poop days....

MoonPie