[pct-l] poison oak

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sun Mar 9 22:02:28 CDT 2008

There are a couple lotions you can put on before you enter poison oak.
Ivy Block and StokoGard Outdoor Cream are reported to work.  On a
section hike from Burney Falls to McCloud REservoir I used Ivy Block
part of the time, and then just gave up because it was so hot and I
sweat so much.  I didn't get it regardless.  I mastered the knee swing
around plants stretching onto the trail searching for sun.  I met a
couple at the Reservoir hiking south and they were so glad to hear that
the section south of there wasn't too bad.  They said you couldn't help
but get the stuff on you - interlaced on the trail.  Others may have
stories from different years, worse or better depending on maintenance.

1/4 ounce of urushoil is enough to cause a rash on every person on earth!!!

I read somewhere that if you don't wash off the urushoil within 15 to 20
minutes it bonds to the skin.  This suggests prevention rather than
treatment should be the focus.

Regular soap doesn't get rid of urshoil.  I've read that when you think
of poison oak oil think of pine sap.  Soap simply doesn't touch it.  One
product that supposedly works is Tecnu Oak-n-Ivy Cleanser.  Fels Naptha
soap doesn't work - it doesn't cut the oil.

Jeff, just Jeff...