[pct-l] poison oak

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Mon Mar 10 09:22:00 CDT 2008

Zanfel as well as other creams/lotions will definitely help to relieve the itching that is common with PO and certain products will aid in removing the oil from your skin.  However, the biggest issue is frequently not with the oil that comes in direct contact with your skin, but that which comes in contact with your clothes and shoes.  The oil can remain on your clothes/shoes for many hours after you have come in contact with PO and while you may be able to rinse off the oil from your skin after contact, you may find the rash develop if you come in contact with the oils that remian on your clothes.

My mother would frequently "catch" poison oak from simply doing the laundry when we were kids in the mountains of northern california after a day of hunting or fishing.

The BEST product of choice to avoid the rash is AWARENESS and KNOWLEDGE.  Be aware of your surroundings and the trail and have knowledge of what PO looks like.  There are a number of plants and brush along the PCT that is frequently mis-identified as PO, but if you know what you are looking for you can avoid it.  I have been hospitalized twice over the years with severe symptoms of PO and was able to avoid any reaction in 2006 thru-hike.

One advantage of hiking with poles is that when you keep them out in front of you rather than dragging them behind you, you can use them to move plants aside as you walk buy.  Remember to clean your poles though before grabbing anything but the handles.

We don't have Poison Ivy on the PCT, so if you are worried, spend some time and learn to recognize the infamous 3 leaf PO.

From: Trekker4 at aol.com